Hi All. I have spent years honing my ability to travel carrying everything I need in a backpack and later on my motorcycle. Two themes have emerged from the experience. One is the ability travel lightly, and the other is to be able to do it on the cheap. Everyone should take the time to travel, unwind, and not worry about breaking the bank to make it happen. I hope to share my experience making all three happen, in order for you to do so as well. Sit down, hold on, and get ready for a ride you will not forget.
I learned early on in my backpacking experiences what was extraneous and what was essential. When carrying everything you own on your back, it is easy to understand that every ounce matters. After every backpacking trip I thought more and more about what I could do without. Winter camping required at least a three season tent where I camped. A good cook stove was also important, and I still think white gas trumps other fuel sources. Of course you need a good mess kit, with a pot, pan, a bowl or plate, drinking cup, utensils, some way of making coffee, and so on. An appropriate weight sleeping bag and sleeping pad are also important, as is the means to carry all of the equipment while keeping it dry and ready to use. As you can see, the list can grow quickly. Understanding the bare essentials can be understood through recommendations, however experience is the best teacher when it comes to what to carry. Weight allowances also change with the means of travel. I pared my summer backpacking load to 25 pounds or less, but I can carry a bit more on the motorcycle. And of course I could carry even more if I were to go camping in my car. The point is, the simpler, the better, There is no reason to make a relaxing escape more complicated than it needs to be.
Cost is the main consideration in deciding on what type of trip to take when you have some free time. I have to preface the whole experience with the understanding that there is an initial investment in equipment. Backpacking and camping in general both require buying the basic camping supplies. A tent, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, flashlights/headlamps, cooler, cooking stove/pots, camp chairs, water containers, and so on. There are many things that make the difference between surviving, camping comfortably, and realizing you have overburdened yourself to the point of discomfort. Start simply, and you will figure out what suits your style and means of travel over time. Basic camping necessities (for two) will cost between $300-500. This will get you on the road. Other options include travel trailers or recreational vehicles, which can add considerable initial and residual costs to your travels. I will stick to the idea of tent camping. After that the cost is the combination of gas, food, and lodging. A National Parks Pass will save a bundle, as will a membership to a national camping chain or motel chain.
The first thing we all have to do for a road trip is fuel up. For my calculations of trip costs, I am assuming starting with a full tank of gas and all of the basic necessities for the trip. This includes the vehicles, gear, and related costs. I have to add, we pay $80 for an annual National Parks Pass (which saves us a bundle, and if you are over 65 or a veteran, it is free or only $10 for a lifetime pass). After the initial leaving town stop, all fuel, lodging, food, and incidental costs should be accounted for. My wife and I both ride our own motorcycles, and I account for the fuel for both during our trips. So far, we have been able to travel for under $100 per day on our trips, including fuel, lodging, and food.
We are going to stay in Visalia, CA at our regular national camping chain and visit Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Forest on a four night trip. We will leave Sparks, NV on Monday, October 3rd, and return home on Friday, October 7th. Five days on the road, and under $500. I will post the trip, show the costs, and give tips on how to make it happen. I already booked the campsite for four nights. We will have power and water available at our tent camping site for $127.92 for the trip (we saved 10% with our membership to the national camping chain, and we earned some points toward some free camping). So far, that is $31.92 per night (for four nights), or $25.58 per day for the five days of travel.
Stay tuned for the play by play starting October 3rd...
No comments:
Post a Comment