Sunday, September 25, 2016

     Well, I am excited about taking another trip, and I can't stop thinking about the logistics. A trip to the gear store to see about the warranty on my camp chair, and to buy a new gadget, only served to stoke the fire. Two of the most important things when we travel are our accommodations and meal preparation. Sleeping well is an important part of traveling happily and, more importantly, safely. Preparing our own meals makes for fresh unprocessed foods, and it cuts down on expenses when you make your own food compared to eating out. If you are properly prepared both are easily accomplished.

   


     When we first started traveling on our motorcycles, we used my backpacking equipment. It is lightweight, compact, and durable. Our accommodations were a two person three season tent, two inflatable sleeping pads, and two zero degree sleeping bags. We used the tarps for covering our gear on the road as a ground cloth for the tent, and we had a small vestibule for our travel bags. We were comfortable, and we managed to stay dry through some pretty intense evening rainstorms. It was on our honeymoon trip to the north rim of the Grand Canyon that the idea of upgrading came to mind. We were camping with some friends that drove their pickup truck, and during a heavy downpour we all sat in their tent's vestibule (in our chairs with a small table) and played cards. After realizing that we could not really both sit up at the same time in our small tent, changing clothes while laying down was a pain in the neck (sometimes literally), and we were riding motorcycles and not backpacking, we decided to upgrade our accommodations.


     We traveled with this setup for about two and a half years. It is a four person tent with a large vestibule, which made for plenty of room for us and our gear. We still used the backpacking sleeping pads to save on room and weight. We even rode out an intense thunderstorm in Grants, NM one night, eating a cold dinner because it was just to windy and rainy to cook safely with the gas stove. After a failed warranty repair, our gear store gave us a credit for the tent (If you are curious about brand names, leave a comment, and I will get back to you as soon as I can), and we have upgraded again. It is still a four person tent, but with an added vestibule (garage). We have also upgraded to a queen size air mattress that we inflate with a 12 volt air pump. We also bought a footprint for the tent to replace the tarp we used to carry. It is easier to set up, and takes up less space. In the end, the 15 pounds of gear we gained makes for a much better sleeping experience.


     Our camp kitchen is also based on the backpacking equipment from the good old days. Fortunately we are using the 20 year old stove to make for good new days as well. I have rebuilt the white gas camp stove once, with a kit from the manufacturer. In a pinch, the stove will also run on unleaded gasoline, but I am afraid of the potential smell and/or taste that might impart to the food. White gas travels well, burns clean, and can be purchased at most outdoor gear suppliers and hardware stores. I was even able to buy a quart at a store in Yellowstone National Park on our last trip. Another advantage is using refillable gas containers and reducing the waste of disposable fuel canisters. White gas stoves take a bit of getting used to, as there is a priming burn to deal with, but once you are practiced, it makes the most sense. Coleman fuel is around $15.00 for a gallon, and I have never used more than a half gallon on a month long trip. 

     We also carry a backpacking pot and pan kit, folding bowls, thin flexible cutting boards, a small kitchen knife, metal collapsable roasting sticks, a coffee press, two small insulated coffee cups, 40 oz water bottles, a two gallon collapsable water bladder, and more. Everything nests within everything else, and it all fits in an oval shaped dry bag in a package about 16in wide x 8in thick x 16in tall. I also carry a cooler that can fit our daily needs plus a 7 lb bag of cubed or a block of ice. Carrying eggs can be a pain, so we are going to try cracking them into a small sealed container and using scrambled eggs for breakfast. I will be sure to post examples and pictures on our upcoming trip. I will also discuss the end of the travel day shopping trip and how to shop for meals for two people.

     I could go on and on about every little aspect of our trips, and I will be sure and do so as we travel.    
If you have any insights, suggestions, or questions, feel free to comment. I will get back to you as soon as I can. In the mean time, remember an adventure is only a thought away.

No comments:

Post a Comment